Sunday, March 15, 2015

Expanding Horizons: Visualize New Setting and Exercise in CAD




So with the debacle that came of my setting. I decided that I should redesign it using rhino for at least two reasons.
1) My professor was not in the building, so I wanted to be able to send him a digital file that I hoped would be intelligible
2) I need the practice in Rhino software. It helps me if I can connect class learning to an actual project of mine. From this point, I can go back and approach the Crafting in Virtual Space assignments with a fuller appreciation. Essentially, this was getting my hands dirty with brute force methodology. Now, I can learn the finesse.


001: Drawing the basic shape of my setting using OSNAP and TRIM




 002: At this point, I extruded the shape from IMG001, laid out tabs on top, and trimmed them.


 003: Adding the sides of the tabs


 004: Extending with Gumball, the sides and faces of the tabs to ensure that they went to the bottom edge of the backing, and both to the top and edge of the faceplate.
 005: At this point, the backing and the face plate have been treated as one form. Whereas in reality they are two.

006: Employing some redundant surfaces and solids for backing and faceplate construction.



007: I extruded, offset, or trimmend shapes and forms by 1/32" to create the roughed final shapes
 008: Changed the render and print color to assist in visual construction at this point. (Still need to figure out how I will print the two, and unite them once that is done.)





009: Seeing the object in colors other than gray has enabled me to see where geometries are superfluous or inadequate. I found many places where I simply had a nest of surfaces in lieu of a singular solid structure. In others, such as the image following, the form had excess volume which needed to be trimmed.

This piece is still under design. But I am happy with the progress thus far. Working on it has definitely opened my eyes to the need for more elegant means of modeling. I will be able to go back to better utilize the new commands that I have learnt in class, because I can now better appreciate the the extent of their application

No comments:

Post a Comment