Monday, February 23, 2015

Metallic Buckle: Mechanical Failure

I read that rail tracks buckle laterally due to thermal expansion. So it's no surprise that a piece of copper that's about 24 gauge would do the same at 1480 degrees. Needless to say I was frustrated.

After initial firing with undercoat white 1010.

Convex

Concave 

Rocking



So I flattened the piece between bench blocks. The enamel cracked, introducing more interesting textures.  Moreover, after I fired it each subsequent time, I immediately place the piece between the bench blocks before the enamel had time to fully cool.


This process brought the piece back closer to try. However, it was evident that the lords of Shibui aesthetic were placing invisible hands over this piece in steerage.






No comments:

Post a Comment