Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Champleve Challenges


Etching a cylinder proved to be a challenge. In one incidence, the etching process blew out the side of the plastic container as it electroformed a copper tree branch. Then, it arced electricity and melted the walls. So I was encouraged to reconsider.

Flat tiles it is.


After I placed the vinyl resist on the copper sheet, I connected copper stems. These were secured in place with vinyl, and have a exposed end that will conduct electricity.


copper lolly pops


This is the copper sulfate solution that  I will etch the copper pops in. I connected a stainless steel spoon to the anode (-). The copper tile is attached to the cathode (+). The steel spoon is becoming copper plated. The process is working

 A deep etch. Too deep in spots. I enjoy the champlevé process. But my knowledge of it needs further refining.

No comments:

Post a Comment